Frequently Asked Questions



Practice Areas




Contact Us

Click on a question below for more information:

Buying a new home?

Buying a home is one of the most important and expensive purchases that you will ever make. Which is why it is just as important to have an experienced attorney, as it is to have a knowledgeable realtor and mortgage lender. To ensure your transaction goes smoothly Young Malmberg can help by preparing and/or reviewing the sales contract to make sure you address all of the issues and questions about the property before settlement. We will search the title for you as well as resolve any title problems for you and certify to you that you are getting a good title. We will take care of the actual settlement for you, which includes a deed that is a valid record of the transfer of property from the seller to you, that it has been recorded and indexed properly with the appropriate agencies as well meeting all of your lender's requirements. Please contact us if you are thinking about buying a new home. We look forward to providing you with excellent and friendly service at a reasonable price.
- back to top-

What is Title Insurance?

Most mortgage companies will require you to purchase title insurance to protect their mortgage if you are buying or refinancing a home, and most people don't know what it is or why it is needed.

The most important thing an attorney does is the title search because it is a search of public records to determine if the seller has a good title, does he/she own 100% of the property with no liens or other claims. By purchasing title insurance you are guaranteeing to the mortgage company that the seller is giving you a good title. This title insurance covers any problem that the attorney may not have found by researching public records, as well as protecting you. The cost is relatively inexpensive and is good as long as you own the home.
- back to top-

Why should I refinance my home right now, and how much will it cost me?

When mortgage rates are lower than in previous years a homeowner can save a significant amount of money a year by refinancing. Just how much depends on your current rate and the current market rate as well as the amount of your mortgage and the term left on it. A homeowner can save by, keeping the same payment amount and reducing the length of the mortgage, or reduce the monthly payment amount with the same term. These savings will more than cover the initial cost of refinancing and very often the mortgage company will include the cost of refinancing the new mortgage. We can often save you money by using an old survey instead of ordering a new one or by asking the title company to give you a reissue rate on your old policy. Please call us for an initial consultation and we can inform you if this is the right choice for you.
- back to top-

If you are in an automobile accident?

There are some things that you need to be aware of so as to ensure that the proper medical attention is received, the claim can be handled by the applicable insurance carrier promptly and efficiently, and to protect your legal rights. First you should always call the police no matter how slight the accident. Never just exchange driver/insurance information and leave the scene without having the proper law enforcement agency investigate the accident. Second, of course severe injuries are obvious, less severe injuries may not become apparent for some time after the accident. So when questioned about injuries at the scene do not state that you are not injured unless you are absolutely certain that is the case. Some injuries often take hours or days to become symptomatic. Even minor aches and pains can often become symptomatic over time. Third, do not refuse medical attention if you think you may be injured. It is better to have an injury medically diagnosed as soon as possible as well as have the injury documented. Fourth, write down narrative statement about the accident so that you can refresh your memory later. Keep a diary on how you are feeling each day and the effects of your injuries upon your normal activities, your state of mind and your medical treatment progress. Take photos of your injuries and of both vehicles if possible. Then contact an attorney who practices in the area of automobile personal injury. The contexts of these statements do not constitute "legal advice" nor establish legal representation. Visitors to this website who have specific legal questions should contact one of our attorneys today.
- back to top-

How much auto insurance?

Every registered Delaware motor vehicle is required to carry personal injury protection insurance, which is "no fault" in nature. Under the law, registered motor vehicle are only required to carry 15/30 liability coverage (this equates to $15,000 per individual up to a maximum of $30,000 per accident), and 15/30 of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage must be offered at the time a insurance policy is purchased or at such time as changes to the policy occur, but it isn't mandatory. In most instances, these levels of coverage are insufficient to protect the client from any liability claims asserted by third persons and to protect the client from the costs of being injured or from other drivers who are uninsured or underinsured. So how much is enough? You need well in excess of the current minimum that Delaware requires. In many instances 15/30 is simply not enough to compensate an injured person and without additional coverage you run the risk of personal liability for the amount of the judgment in excess of your liability coverage. Our recommendation to clients is that they have at least 100/300 of liability, PIP, and uninsured/underinsured coverage. There is no doubt that insurance is expensive but, it is unfortunate to see a person who is catastrophically injured through negligence of others without adequate sources of insurance.
- back to top-